Sunday, April 15, 2012

A mix of nerves and excitement

One week until the Trail Mix 50k.  I'm certainly excited, but that is coupled with butterflies in my stomach as well.  This last week of training hasn't been as flawless as I would have hoped.  For whatever reason I have been struggling with headaches.  I'm looking at what conditions might be causing them - tight muscles, dehydration, alcohol.  So far getting some bodywork done has had the best results.  I guess riding multiple horses 5 days a week coupled with running long, my body needed a little TLC.... I think I earned it!  Anyway, since I'm in taper-mode, I haven't felt too bad about taking an extra day off here and there.  I'm sure my legs will thank me come race day.

Yesterday, Matt and I headed out for one last loop around Lake Rebecca.  It was a sunny, warm day.  A nice change from the damp, cold, windy runs from the last 2 weeks.  Things have really started to green up as well.  So refreshing to watch Mother Nature blossom into Spring.
This is really my favorite time of year.

Our goal for this year is to run a 50 mile trail race.  Early on, we had our sights on the Voyager Trail Race that starts and finishes in Carlton, MN - it runs from Carlton to Duluth and back.  It's easy to talk about signing up for something like this, but as I'd check it out online, the website wasn't updated for 2012.  So up until now, it was all talk...

Not any more!!! Last night we bit the bullet and put our money where our mouth is.  We are officially registered for our first 50 MILE trail race!!! Talk about being scared and excited at the same time!  I feel like I should go out and start running hill repeats right now!

http://voyageurtrailrun.blogspot.com/

Until next time, happy running!!

1 comment:

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

Nice post, Kate! And I enjoyed your pictures! Very exciting news! I'm sure you'll do well!