Monday, March 02, 2009

More Training

The last few days I've been disappointed by the fact that it just plain cold out again. I'm longing for the days when I don't have to wear my Mt Everest-down jacket. It doesn't even have to be summer just yet, simply warm enough to only need to throw on a fleece, and I'd be happy.
But that is not the case just yet, so I continue to train indoors.
Friday I lost all motivation, and elected to take the day off from training. Saturday morning I got up and did an hour and 20 on the bike trainer. Ugh. It is SO boring, but I try to change it up by doing some big-gear intervals and that does help the time go by a little faster. Sunday was a "long" run. We woke up to the windchill being -17. If that doesn't take the motivation out of your sails, I don't know what would. After putzing around for part of the morning, Matt and I finally decided that it was time to go hit the treadmill at Snap Fitness. I find the treadmill to be as boring as the bike trainer, so I was less than thrilled. At least at Snap you can watch TV -- you have to read the subtitles if you don't have a FM tuner, so you can get plenty of stimulation -- run, read the TV, listen to your iPod. 8 Miles later, I got off the treadmill. My left leg gets sore from that much running on the treadmill so I must have some kind of an imbalance. I don't have that one-sidedness outside. I think there's enough terrain changes outside that I don't have that overuse problem that I get on the treadmill.
I currently enjoy Monday's since I haven't been going to the farm. It allows me to get in some quality training right away at the start of the week. Today unfortunately, Coach Lisa wasn't able to make it to the pool, so we had to swim on our own. I was worried at what I'd be able to do after pizza and a little too much alcohol last night (I don't typically drink Martini's and 1 martini, and I was over the edge, whew! That hasn't happened in a LONG time!!) Anyway, I still managed a good quality 2250 yards in 1 hour. I was pleased with that effort. Then I came home and immediately hit the bike trainer. 1 hour of easy spinning, and I felt like I had a good start to the day. I spent a lot of time in front of my computer today, and do feel a little stiff. I'm used to much more light activity, and that really helps the muscles from feeling to sore and tight. I should probably spend some time stretching, but I have a hunch at this hour I'm simply going to go straight to bed!
Until next time, happy training!! :)

No comments: