Thursday, February 26, 2009

Winter's Back

Today Mother Nature reminded us that spring is not here yet, by dumping a big 'ole load of snow on the Twin Cities Metro area. I was actually hoping to get snowed in, but I don't think that's really going to happen. Oh well.
As far as training goes, Tuesday was a run and weights day. The morning was beautiful, and I was kicking myself for not running outside. I elected to run at Snap Fitness on the treadmill because I wanted to get a strength training workout in, too. That morning it was of course, temperate and clear, and simply beautiful. It made you think that spring is just around the corner. But I trudged along on the treadmill instead, and watched the sun rise outside the gym. I ended up doing 5 miles. It felt harder than it needed to be, but I think that was because I didn't have enough pre-workout calories on board. The same thing happened with the strength workout, I just felt tired and out of energy. I think it was truly because I'd only had a gel before I left, instead of a couple scoops of Sustained Energy (a liquid, protein & carb training supplement.) Sustained energy works really well for me, and for some reason I figured a gel was enough. Guess now I know! :)
Wednesday was a swim day. Our coach, Lisa, wasn't available to be there that morning, so she texted me a workout -- long, straight swim. 1000 without fins, 1500 with fins. I felt pretty good overall. The first 1000 went by quickly, and I was pleased with how I felt. The 1500 with fins, seemed like it took a long time, but it wasn't "hard." Just mentally long. After I finished the 2500, doing flip turns at almost every deepend turn around, I still had time to get in a 300 cool down, so that makes it my longest pool workout yet in an hour. I felt really good about what I had accomplished.
Thursday's are busy days for me. I have a networking group meeting at 7:30 - 9am every week, and then it's off to the farm. And since I get to the farm later than usual, I'm typically there later than usual. So by the time I get home, I don't have the energy or the willpower to workout. I could take Thursdays as a "rest" day, but I like to do that on Fridays before the long weekend workouts. So that means I need to get my workout in before my 7:30am meeting -- and well that puts me getting up at 4:45 to workout, shower, eat, etc. I've been good about getting up and hitting the bike trainer. That's the easiest to do. No travel, no hassle. Get up, throw on a T and bike shorts and head to the basement. I did an easy 40 min. spin today.
Well, that's all for now. I may end up going for a run tomorrow, to get that 2nd run workout in this week.

No comments: