Monday, October 03, 2005

The crazy few

Today it was back to work, and back to reality. The morning had it's moments when I wasn't sure if maybe I'd be better off going back to bed and pulling the covers over my head...
Luckily it didn't come to those measures, but after getting kicked in the leg by a horse after only being at work for an hour, I wasn't too sure! The good news is, I was far enough away that I didn't receive the full power of the kick, and came away with hardly a bruise. Whew!
My coughing is getting less and less, and I was even able to head out on the bike tonight and not cough up a lung when I finished! Yay!! I thought I might run, but it's unseasonably warm, so biking seemed appropriate. Soon enough it'll be a bit too cool for me to actually "want" to bike... I did a loop that is about 15 miles, avg. 16.8 mph, easy. It was nice to be out, and enjoy the ride, without coughing, and without legs of lead.
Tonight, we had planned a "Moonless Swim." We had a "Moonlit Swim" on the calender for this fall, so we figured a "Moonless Swim" would be just as fun. If not more so... It was a great night. There's only a few of us left that are crazy enough to still be doing open water swims in Oct. in Minnesota... but we have a good time doing it, none the less.
Tonight it was surreal... The air temp was still in the high 70's, but the water was MUCH colder. Even colder than last week, I'd say. We planned to start at 7:30 so it'd be dark. I bought glo-sticks for us to wear on our wrists, so we could keep track of each other in the water. Mark brought a stroble light to put on the dock so we could find our way back. Henry even had a glo-stick collar. We swam across the lake like we normally do, and the view was awesome. There was clear sky just above us, but thunderheads off in the distance. The lightening was luminating the tops of the thunderheads, so it was really cool. And watching everyone swim with glo-sticks on the their wrists was fun, compared to the darkness around us. Everyone agreed it was one of the coolest things we'd done. There was definitely a "wow" factor.
Afterwards we went to grab something to eat, and hear stories of the marathon from the previous day. It turned out to be a very fun evening.
I'm so happy to finally be feeling more like myself, and to get back on the training wagon!!

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Kate, that sounds great!!! You guys do such fun stuff!! I want to join your group!!