Monday, January 02, 2006

Swim Breakthrough

This morning I headed out for an easy 3+ mile run. It was starting to really warm up, and the humidity was definitely a factor. I was glad I only needed to do an easy run today. I felt remarkably good after yesterday's brick workout. Last week I had "bricks" in my legs after a similar workout. I was pleased this morning to be running fairly well. Not fast, but I didn't need to go fast either. Today was just an easy "burn some calories" run.
Later today I went to the pool. The first time in a couple weeks. I had been having trouble with breathing to the right in the past, and with my stroke technique. Today was definitely a good day!
I got in the water, and started off, and without even thinking I found myself breathing to the right without any trouble. This is huge! There was a time, not that long ago, that I couldn't breathe to the right without feeling like I was the Titanic. So today when I found myself breathing to the right like I'd never had a problem, I was very excited.
I've also been struggling with my technique in the catch and pull phase of the stroke. Today I read some tips regarding that before I left for the pool, and I think that it really helped to have a good mental image of a correct stroke in my head when I got in the water. I worked on simply having good technique in the water, and after 800 meters I was finding myself struggling to hold on to the correct position, so I called it a day. No point in practicing poor form.
It was a very positive swim workout, and has me looking forward to the next one. I hope that by correcting my form and bilateral breathing I'll be able to not be the last guy out of the water this season!
Oh, and more good news! I've signed up for my next Half Iron Distance Tri for this summer. September 9 - the Lake Geneva Triathalon in Fontana,WI. Immediately following the HIM I'll drive to Madison to watch Ironman on sunday, and Monday I'll sign up for 2007!!! Another step along the road of life!
Until next time!

2 comments:

Morris said...

Awesome I like a well fit girl who knows how to run!

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

Anne Marie said...

I will be your cheerleader, and your water girl, but that is all this old lady can do for you at the ironman!! I will be with you in all the phases, and look forward to them!! Can't wait for 2007 for that reason!!!!!!!