Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Frozen Snowbird

Monday I finally got to go running again with my friend, Anne Marie. We had been talking about these hills at the park near her house for months. I love to run hills, and Anne Marie had been telling me how tough they were, and how I had to see them. So I get there Monday, and we drive to the park, only to find that it's closed!! What a bummer. We didn't risk running the park anyway, because they said it was closed due to "Deer Management." So we did a nice 5.5 mile run around her subdivisions. It was fun to chat, and enjoy her company like old times.
Afterward we went to lunch and shopping. It's a darned good thing that I carbo-loaded up at lunch because I needed all the energy I had to keep up with that girl in the Mall. Whew! I was exhausted by the time we were done. But I sure got a good lesson in Marathon Bargain Shopping (MBS 101!) It was such a fun day, and then for a recovery we went home and recarbo-loaded on pasta before heading out one more time to Meijer. We don't have Meijer in Minnesota, so we had to hit that before really calling it a day.
After shopping and running on Monday, I needed Tuesday as a recovery day. Well, maybe not really, but I didn't make time for a workout, and before long it was 9:30 at night, and I was sound asleep.
Today was another story though. There aren't many runs that I have where I can say that I froze my eyelashes, but today was one of those days! Michigan got hit with a winter storm this morning, and I was desperate to get a run in. I headed out this morning with temps in the 20s and the wind blowing so hard it was snowing horizontally. I put on my layers - 2 layers on the bottom, 3 on top, 2 pairs of gloves and ear warmers. For some, that may seem like overkill, but I was nice and toasty.
I did an out and back, starting into the wind with just over 6 miles total (Probably 6.2 or.3). The first half mile was the hardest, getting used to the snow in your face and howling wind in your ears. But as I got warmer, and the road got more protected, it wasn't so bad. I was actually enjoying myself.
There's not much that is more peaceful than making fresh tracks on a quiet country road in the snow. I ran down by the river, where the road snakes through the woods, so I was protected from the winds, and it was so beautiful. Then I turned for home, and with the wind at my back I was almost too warm.
I didn't set any speed records with that wind, but I know I got a good workout in. It is still snowing, and it supposed to all night. Tomorrow I'd like to do a long run to help rationalize the Thanksgiving feast. I'll be anxious to get out there tomorrow and make another set of fresh tracks in the morning. Until next time...

No comments: