Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Rebuilding the Foundation

Today is my day off from work, so I enjoyed sleeping in and a lazy morning. I was wide awake by 8am, but the true luxury was being able to lay in bed and watch T.V. until I felt compelled to actually get up. Those days are few and far between in my world, so I enjoyed it thoroughly this morning.
By 10:30 I was dressed and ready to take on the traffic and road hazards florida had to throw at me on my bike. I had planned to ride for about an hour. After 35 min or so, I found myself back at the gate of the Polo Club, so I decided to ride through the Polo Club and home. My total ride was 45 min. I averaged 17 mph and went 13 miles. All but one section of road was light traffic, and most drivers gave me plenty of room. It wasn't bad at all getting out there again.
Last winter I got a lot of experience by riding with a group of 'Roadies' on monday night. They were an intense group, riding in a pace line on roads without shoulders at night. There is nothing like riding in the middle of a pace line at night at 20mph with your only focus being the white line and the tire of the guy in front of you. You did what you had to to keep up! So I stopped into the bike shop this afternoon to inquire about the rides again. They are still holding them on monday nights, but then I asked about riding with a tri bike... yeah, just as I expected, they don't like us "Tri Geeks" riding in a pace line with aerobars. Looks like I'm on my own this year. That's ok, he gave me a good route with safe roads to ride on. Maybe next year I can swing a road bike and ride with them in the future...
After my bike ride, I headed over to the pool for a quick swim. Best to start getting in the habit of swimming a few times a week again. I can tell it's been a long time since I swam any distance. After a 100m I was breathing like I'd never swam before. So it's time to hit the pool on a regular basis and start rebuilding that aerobic foundation. I'd actually like to find a swim group to help me work on my technique a little bit, since I'm certain that is partially why I am so slow in the water.
Well, I've got some more errands to run, so I'd best be off. Catch ya' later.

No comments: