Sunday, October 09, 2005

Good Intentions

Well, all of a sudden it's sunday night, and I'm not sure where the weekend went. I think I got a little spoiled by having all/part of the weekends off lately. I did have today off, and it was a gorgeous day. Sunny, clear skys, started cool (ok, downright cold) then warmed to low 60's.
Thursday's training was a nice evening trail run. About 5 miles, 50 min or so. It was nicely rolling, and the first cool day of running this fall.
Friday, I contemplated going out on the bike, but that's about as far as I got. I took it as my rest day - thinking I might long run saturday morning
I should know myself well enough by now, that if I'm going to run early, I should find someone to train with to help hold me accountable. Getting out of bed at 5:30am on a saturday morning to go for a solo long run, is highly unlikely to happen. I'm really good at setting my alarm, and then hitting snooze without getting up - and I can do that for a LONG time! Over two hours that morning! Yikes. I worked all day saturday, and it was a great day - sunny, cool, but warm sun. So I elected instead of running after work, to go out on the bike. The biking days are numbered, so I thought I should take advantage of my inclination to get out on the bike. I did an un-satisfying 14 miles, about 52 min. I felt slow, tired, and uncomfortable. Ah well... at least I got out there.
I thought I might have time today to get a long run in. I was volunteering at an Adventure Race, and figured that since the racers would be out for 3-5 hours, I might have a little time to get out there. I didn't... but it was fun at any rate. Chatting with the racers and enjoying the good weather was a plus. I liked being out there, and being a part of it... so I was ok with missing this workout. But this is where I know that I need to be a little more serious about my training if I'm contemplating an IronMan in the future. If I'm serious about my IronMan, then I need to be serious about actually getting up at 5:30 on a saturday morning for a solo training run... So at least I know what I need to focus on.
Until next time - Kate.

No comments: